Kiosk Browser Setup
From Ara Irititja KMS Wiki
Mac OS X 10.6 with Firefox
Be warned: use these instructions as a guide only. Changes in Operating System and versions of Firefox and Add-on components may require deviation from the instructions below.
- Log in to the computer using the administrator account. Most likely this is the account that was created when the Mac was first set up.
- Download and install Firefox.
- Open 'System Preferences...' → 'Accounts' options. Click the padlock button and authenticate to unlock the panel.
- Click the '+' button to add a new account. Enter the following values:
New Account: Standard
Full Name: Kiosk Archive
Leave all other properties blank or unchecked. Click “Create Account”. When warned about not entering a password, click 'OK'.
- Quit System Preferences.
- Log out using the Log out option in the 'Apple' menu.
- Log in to your newly created 'Kiosk Archive' account.
- Launch Firefox. When asked to make Firefox the default browser, click 'Yes'.
- Open 'Firefox' → 'Preferences...'
In the 'General' options:
-- Select the 'Show my home page' option in the 'When Firefox starts:' pop-up list.
-- Enter `Your archive URL` into the 'Home Page:' field. If your installation is using Wiltja, then you will need to enter the Wiltja Login URL.
-- Uncheck the 'Show the Downloads window when downloading a file' option.
In the 'Tabs' options:
-- Uncheck all options.
In the 'Security' options:
-- Uncheck 'Remember passwords for sites' option.
-- Uncheck 'Use a master password' option.
In the 'Advanced' options:
-- General: Uncheck 'Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup' option.
-- General: Uncheck 'Submit crash reports' option.
-- Update: Select 'Never check for updates (not recommended: security risk)' option.
-- Uncheck 'Add-ons' option.
-- Uncheck 'Search Engines' option.
- Close the Preferences window and go to 'Tools' → 'Add-ons' to open the 'Add-on Manager' tab window.
- Select the 'Get Add-ons' option if its not already selected. Enter the term 'shortcuts' into the 'Search all add-ons' field, then press 'return' to run the search.
- In the list of found add-ons, select the “Customizable Shortcuts” and click 'Install'.
- Once the add-on has finished downloading and installed, close the “Add-ons Manager” window tab and open 'Firefox' → 'Preferences...'.
- Select the 'Shortcuts' toolbar button.In the list of shortcuts, find and select the “Reload” item (under the Navigation heading) and press the 'Edit' button. Press the 'F' key of your choice (F3 for example) to be used to reload the archive.
Next, find and select the “Quit Firefox” item (towards the bottom of the list) and press the 'Edit' button. Press the 'F' key of your choice to be used to quit Firefox.
- Close the Preference window and go to 'Tools' → 'Add-ons' to open the “Add-ons Manager” window again.
- Select the 'Get Add-ons' option if its not already selected. Enter the term 'kiosk' into the 'Search all add-ons' field then press 'return' to run the search.
- In the list of found add-ons, select the “R-kiosk” add-on and click 'Install'. Accept the End User Licence when displayed.
- Once the add-on has downloaded and installed, close the “Add-on Manager” window tab then quit Firefox.
- Open 'System Preferences...' → 'Keyboard' options. Select the 'Keyboard Shortcuts' tab. Systematically work through each of the shortcut groupings deselecting enabled shortcuts. Once finished, quit System Preferences.
- Log out of the Kiosk Archive account and re-log in to the administrator account.
- Go to 'System Preferences...' → 'Parental Control' options. Click the padlock button and authenticate to unlock the panel.
- Select the 'Kiosk Archive' account in the list, then press 'Enable Parental Control'.
In the 'Apps' options:
-- Enable the 'Limit Applications' check-box.
-- Select 'Don't allow' in the 'Allow App Store Apps' pop-up list.
-- In the 'Allowed Apps list, uncheck all applications except Firefox.
-- Enable the 'Allow User to Modify the Dock' check-box.
In the 'Web' options:
-- Select the 'Allow access to only these websites' option.
-- Remove all existing websites using the '-' button.
-- Add a new bookmark by pressing the '+' button. Set the website title to `The title of your Archive` and the address to `Your Archive URL`. Click 'OK'.
-- If you are running Wiltja, add another new bookmark by pressing the '+' button. Set the website title to 'Wiltja' and the address to `The Wiltja URL` (for example, http://localhost). Click 'OK'.
Quit System Preferences.
- Log out of the administrator account and re-log in to the 'Kiosk Archive' account.
- Remove all Application and folder icons from the Dock, leaving only the Finder and Trash icons. Locate Firefox in the 'Applications' folder and drag the Firefox icon to the Dock.
- Locate and launch Terminal. Because you are running in Parental Control mode, you will be asked if you want to allow Terminal to run. Press the 'Allow once' button, then authenticate with the administrator account name and password.
Once you have a Terminal window open, enter the following two commands one at a time:
defaults write com.apple.dock contents-immutable -bool true
defaults write com.apple.finder InterfaceLevel "simple"Be careful: there are no numerals in either of these commands.
- Log out and re-log in again using the 'Kiosk Archive' account. You should now have a Dock with the Finder, Firefox and Trash icons, and the Finder should be running in 'simple' mode.
- Launch Firefox, log in to the Archive and attempt a movie annotation. You will need to configure Flash Player to allow the use of the computer's camera and microphone. Make sure you have selected 'Allow' and 'Remember' in the Privacy options.